Monday, January 30, 2012

Arguments Based on Facts and Reason: Logos (ch. 4)

This chapter is about logos, arguments that appeal to our logic, and how people respect arguments that are based on facts. Although we still fight these claims if they are against our views or if the person making the argument is not credible, it is often hard to argue against "hard evidence" or "common sense". It is also harder to counter back when there are many facts, statistics or witnesses to back up their claim.

Something in this chapter that I found interesting was how some logical claims are based on cultural assumptions and values. An example of this can be found in the advertisement against animal cruelty located below.
(Edit: I have tried to use several different animal abuse ads, and they all won't post. The one I talk about below looks like a typical magazine advertisement for mascara, but the woman has a black eye that's bleeding. Then it has a statistic that states that 300,000 animals suffer each year.)

This advertisement is reliant on the belief that all life should be treated equally. This advertisement would be very effective to those that could relate animal life to human life, since it combines both pathos (emotional persuasion) and logos. The makers of this advertisement even further the logical argument by including a statistic that each year 300,000 animals suffer due to the use products tested on animals, giving the audience a scope of how big the problem is, convincing those that value animal life to research which products are tested on animals and to stop using them.

However, there are many cultures that believe that comparing a human to an animal is as logical as comparing a sock to a tangelo. Therefore, they would not find this advertisement very compelling since it would make no sense to them.

Another example, albeit a poor one, is this this Wingstop advertisement that I have included purely because I found it to be humorous.

The text at the bottom reads: "It is times like these when we all need to come together to celebrate not only the things we have in common, but the things that make us unique. What better way to gather than around a delicious plate of wings. We have nine mouth-watering flavors to satisfy a variety of tastes, and many side dishes. So come to Wingstop today and join the revolution!"

The argument relies on the following needs: a revolution-oriented mindset to be common, a society that celebrates similarities and differences (Though, I do not know why they mentioned that in their ad.), an acceptance of eating meat, and that eating wings would help with a revolution.

Since I cannot think of a culture that meets all of the needs I have listed, I do not find the advertisement logical at all. However, the ad still has its humor-value, which may get some people to try their food at least once or at least keep them in mind.

Also, on an unrelated note, I changed my mind about my writing project. I will probably use an anti-smoking advertisement instead.

3 comments:

  1. The interesting part about logos is that everyones logic is different, there are people like Bill Gates and then there is people in middle school. I feel like whoever is making the visual argument it is very uimportant to know exactly who your audience is. Your mot going to talk about government to kindergardeners. Also, it is important to think about what will catch your audiences eye, and what will draw them into the argument. What amount of abstract thinking do you need to be able to comprehend what the visual argument has to do with.

    The example you used are good examples of logos. The first picture you put was confusing to me. All I see is a stop sign and SOPA which I can connect and understand what it has to do with what is going on in the government. However, you would have to have some kind of idea of what is going on in society to be able to connect society and the visual argument.

    As for the second image, I hate Wingstop so I don't really care about the ad. I think the ad is stupid. A "Revolution" thats veryu bizarre. I think that they could of done a way better job supporting their product.

    Overall, I gree with what your saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that you need to know your audience very well for logos to be effective, but you need to know your audience for pretty much any argument you make, not just for logos ads. It is a good point to make, however. You would not want to make the mistake of using "big words" or, like what you said, talk about the government in an ad meant for children.

      I also believe that you need to make good aesthetic decisions when making the overall picture portion of the ad as well, since if the ad just had a lot of words and facts on it, I would not want to sit down and read them all, and I doubt many other people would either. I believe that in order to make a good and convincing ad, you would need a lot of pathos and ethos mixed within it. Some people need more than just “hard evidence”.

      The first picture would not show up when I linked it into my blog entry. I described what the picture was supposed to look like beneath the SOPA picture. I will try linking it here again. Sorry for the confusion. I hope it works for you this time. http://www.adsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/eyelashes.jpg

      I agree that the Wingstop ad is unusual, and I didn't find it a very compelling argument for eating wings either. I just found it funny, so I included it in my blog. I am sorry you found it stupid.

      Thank you for commenting. :)

      Delete