Monday, February 20, 2012

Arguments of Definition (Chapter 9)

This chapter dealt with the definition of terms that could be construed differently in an argument. An example where a definition would be needed is the definition of a "small car" in a parking space labeled for "small cars only" in order to avoid a misunderstanding with owners of automobiles such as compact luxury vehicles, light trucks, and motorcycles. This chapter provides three different types of definitions used in arguments: formal definitions, operational definitions and definitions by example. Formal definitions are definitions you could find in a dictionary. Operational definitions are created by the conditions that surround the term or by what it does. Definitions by example use individual members that fall under the term to define the term (like defining smart phones by listing the major examples).


The part of this chapter that I chose to discuss more thoroughly is the section about operational definitions. I chose it since it was the one that had the most variance, and could thus, be the hardest one to understand or identify. Basically, the argument arises when people disagree on the conditions that are included in the term or if the conditions have been filled. The example given in the book is where an offensive sexual manner towards another may not qualify as harassment unless if the action is unwanted, unsolicited, and repeated technically. These conditions may be argued, however, if the offender thought that the sexual interest was mutual or wanted by the offended.

By reading about operational definitions, I thought about how many of these kind of arguments are surrounded in my life. For example, my roommate was studying last weekend, and I was listening to music. I thought that I was not disturbing her, but after a while she told me that I was being loud. I thought at first that she was being sarcastic, since my music was fairly quiet in my opinion, but after I realized that she was irritated, I politely grabbed some headphones and listened to my music that way instead. We had different conditions on the term "quiet", and in her argument, being able to hear music, even at a low volume, was prohibited.

Another example of an operational definition is how when I was younger, my parents told me to get ready for school. My definition of "ready" was simply to be bathed, clothed, have brushed teeth and hair, and to be waiting to get in the car. Theirs was to be bathed, in nice looking clothes, wearing shoes, with brushed teeth and hair, dried hair, have all of the items I wanted to take to school at hand, a full stomach, and waiting in the car for them. Since the conditions of the term "ready" were different for both of us, the definition is an operational one.

3 comments:

  1. I would have to agree and say that yes, there is not just one type of definition. I say this because, I have experienced probably all three types of definitions you mentioned. I noticed that many arguments have arose between friends, family and so on through unalike definitions of a term and that is where the disagreement begins. Before posting on your blog I decided to re read chapter 9 because some of the chapter had slipped passed me and I also agree that operational definitions are quite interesting. Operational definitions already have a different definition in the book as how we should probably recognize the term but as you mentioned, the dictionary has a definition that is far away from what you and I had read in the book.
    Reading your example of you and your roommate kind of having a argument over your music, do you think she was just more irritated over the fact she could hear your music or that you were playing it loud enough for her to hear while she was studying. I have had the same sort of experience with my roommate in that if he thinks that I know he is studying then I should try to be as silent as possible but I don't because that's not my definition of being silent. I simply just do what you had did and do my thing. There is nothing that says we all have to agree on the same definition of a term to keep things peaceful but maybe we could come to common ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. People have such a different view on things that sometimes that is how conflicts arise. Friends and family converse about how words can have different meanings and therefore become miss interpreted. A simple word such as love and be taken in so many different ways that it is almost funny. I really appreciate you explaining this because reading this chapter was a little confusing and your explanation sums up everything as a whole. So thank you for that. I also think that your example with the music and your roommate is a good example. I too have had the same issue with people in the past and as you said it all just comes down to how people think of the definition as a whole. I also can relate to your definition of ready. Parents and children have completely different views of everything because children view the world as being something completely different than how parents view the world. Parents are more educated as to what is going on where in the eyes of a child it looks like a wondrous place where nothing can go wrong. Overall I really like your post I think that you used a great deal of explaining the chapter and how different people think of definitions differently. You used really good examples and they work to tie your whole post together. I really enjoyed reading this because finally I was able to connect with what the chapter was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rebecca. Many different words can be misinterpreted and as a result can cause an argument. I liked her example of listening to music that she thought was quiet but her roommate thought was loud. She did not think it was bothering anyone but it turned out it was in fact actually disturbing her roommate. She would not of thought it was disturbing anyone because her definition of loud was different than her roommates. We see this all the time in our every day lives. I could relate to her next example saying how her and her parents disagreed on what the term ready meant. I also fought with my parents about when I thought I was ready and when they thought I was ready. I thought I just needed to be dressed and they thought I needed to be well dressed, showered, with my hair brushed, teeth brushed, and I needed to have all of my belongings in the car. The different definitions in the world are what cause argument. If everyone thought the same thing about everything then we would not see nearly as many arguments in our daily lives. I liked this post because I could relate to it and I agreed with what Rebecca said.

    ReplyDelete